Friday, February 02, 2007

Milestones

I found my very first gray hair today. :-( I knew it would eventually happen, that first sign that I am getting older. I was surprised at how well I took it, considering it was something that I have been dreading. Every time I see my stylist and she assures me that there are none to be found I found myself breathing a sigh of relief. I have been lucky up until today and with my 45th birthday looming ahead probably luckier than most. I now find myself looking at the future and where I would like to be when I turn the big five O. Which brings me to the topic of this blog of setting long term goals with your child.

I think for the sake of your child's sanity long-term goals are usually not a good idea. I know my 50th birthday will be here in a blink of an eye, but to a child even two weeks seems like an awfully long time. The idea of reaching a goal even a few months down the road might be a little too much for your child and could dampen his enthusiasm about reaching his goals. If your child does have a long term goal in mind have him break it down into shorter mini goals that he can reach in a shorter time span. The mini goals will ultimately lead to the long term goal being realized.

So I am off to see my stylist to confess about my recent find. Maybe it is time to accept the gray and embrace this new milestone. Not!!!!

Happy goal setting

No comments:

Labels