Friday, February 09, 2007

Keep it to Yourself

Happy Friday Everyone
I am a little late getting my blog written today, I seem to be having a few problems in the sleep department. Not sure why, but I keep waking up at an ungodly hour and then have a devil of a time falling back to sleep. When I finally nod off again it seems like minutes before the alarm goes off and I have to drag my weary self out of bed. I must have looked a fright this morning because my youngest son asked me with a worried look on his face, "Are you OK?" Now I could have gone on and on about how I haven't slept very well for the last week and woe is me but decided to tell a little fib and say "Mommy is phenomenal!!" He looked at me again and smiled and it got me thinking of how we place our burdens on our children's minds without knowing it. How many times do they hear us with the negative self talk? How many times do hear us berate ourselves when we don't quite measure up to the impossible standards we set for ourselves?

Let's make it a goal this February to really think about the negative messages we are sending our children; either by what we say or even by our body language.We see how our children are affected by the way we are feeling, why do we feel it is OK to place this weight on their little shoulders? Like it isn't stressful enough just being a kid we don't need to compound that stress with our own worries.

Happy Parenting :-)

No comments:

Labels