Wednesday, January 17, 2007

How to Stay Motivated

Exercise for me has been a real lifesaver. It got me through bouts of depression gave me energy when it was sorely lacking and just plain made me look and feel better, so it only made good sense that one of the goals I set for myself this year was to keep a regular workout routine. The dilemma for me was how to stay motivated. I would be good to go for the first few days and then slowly but surely I would start coming up with excuses not to work out. Even though I knew intellectually that exercise added so many positive things to my life, that alone was not enough to keep me motivated. I had to find something that would give me the incentive to want to work out.

What worked for me was to tape a television program that I especially like and watch it while I am on my treadmill. It made the time go by really fast and I felt good because I could watch my program without guilt and also get the added benefit of a workout. For me it was win/win.

If you or your child is having problems with motivation, find something that works to keep you both on track. Do a bit of brainstorming to see what will keep you going when the going gets rough.

Finally, never force your child to work on his goals if he really doesn’t want to or he will grow to resent the whole idea. You can encourage him but never coerce or pressure him.

Happy Goal setting

Monicka

No comments:

Labels