Saturday, January 27, 2007

Goal setting - Why or How?

My wise soul-sister Monicka says everyone should have at least 12 hugs every day.

So each morning when I wake up I go downstairs in my pajamas and find my big furry dog. He is especially cuddly when he's half asleep, so I curl up with him on the carpet and we give each other a big hug and I kiss his wet nose and it's just a lovely way to start the day.

What has that got to do with goal setting? Well my puppy dog is my treasure and the light of my life, and I would never want to be without a dog. But for many years, I didn't have one. I'm very pragmatic, and I worried about all the practical details of dog care, and so the years went by with no puppy!

Then one day another wise friend talked to me about which is important, when you set a goal:

1. Is it more important to know HOW you will achieve your goal?

2. Or is it more important to know WHY you will achieve you goal?

"Think about WHY you want something, and the HOW will take care of itself," my friend told me.

Well I sure knew WHY I wanted a dog! And that conversation inspired me to put aside my "how" worries and get a puppy immediately! And I've never regretted it once.

This weekend, why not find the time to talk to your kids about the importance of concentrating on WHY they are committed to each of their goals?

Happy goal setting with your kids,

Cassie

No comments:

Labels