Sunday, May 20, 2007

What is most important to a child


It is a long weekend here in Canada and my son was feeling a little bored. I suggested that he work on his homework, and after he had completed his assignments he came up to me and asked if I would play a video game with him. I am not very good at it, but was willing to give it a try after he promised to give me a tutorial. After awhile the game got increasingly difficult and I had to throw in the towel. I did however, stay and cheer him on.

What I began to notice was it was not so much that I had to even play to make him happy. He wasn't disappointed that I wasn't going to play the game with him, he was thrilled just to have me in the room to tell him how great he was doing.

Funny how we tend to believe as parents, that we always need to expend so much energy when it comes to our kids happiness. We take them here and there and buy them this and that, when what is most important to them is that they feel like they are worth our time and we actually like having them around. Go figure :-)

Happy Parenting

Monicka

No comments:

Labels