Friday, January 18, 2008

Sometimes it is best to say nothing.

In Thursday's blog I wrote about my frustration with my sixteen-year-old daughter, who did not want to continue working for the company that hired her after her work experience training program was finished. My husband and I both thought this was a really good opportunity for her to not only get some work experience, but also would be good in a social aspect as my daughter is Aspergian and has problems in that area. We finally gave up trying to convince her and dropped the subject, but she still continued to give us the cold shoulder.

Today was her last training day and I was expecting her to come home in a bad mood and was totally gobsmacked when she came in and told me she had decided to continue with the job but it was no thanks to my husband and I.

I guess when it comes to teens sometimes it is best to let them figure some things out for themselves. No matter how hard you try to convince them that something is a good idea and will benefit them, just because you want them to, may be all they need to reject the idea altogether.

I am over the moon that my daughter wants to continue with her job and will support her if and when she wants to try something else after she gets a bit more experience. I have learned the hard way that sometimes it is just better to say nothing and let your teen figure things out on their own.

Happy Parenting,

Monicka

No comments:

Labels