Thursday, May 24, 2012

Do More For Your Child by Doing Less...

While the title of this blog may seem a bit contrary there is a very good reason I have chosen it. Since I am by nature a nurturer, it is engrained in me to do for others. My family is my life and I want to make sure that they are loved and cared for. I am now starting to realize that maybe this is not such a good thing after all. If I do everything for my children how will they ever learn to do it themselves. While I may think I am doing it out of love, I am in fact, doing my children a great disservice.

 How can you help your children become healthy independent adults? One of the most important things you can do is to let them make decisions. Instead of putting out clothes for your child for school every morning let them choose what they want to wear. If they mess up by choosing something inappropriate their peers will let them know big time! If your children are fighting with their siblings, let them deal with it. Instead of rushing in to referee, let them sort it out. Of course you want to stand near by in case it gets violent, but otherwise let them deal with it. It may be difficult at first but you will be pleasantly surprised at the outcome. We can't fight our children's battles when they are adults so let them learn the skills to do it for themselves. The more you allow your children to do on their own, the more capable they will become.

The goal of parenting and part of our mission at KidsGoals is to give your children the tools to become healthy, happy, capable adults - that my friends is the epitome of love :) For more ideas on how to positively parent come by KidsGoals.com and sign up for our free newsletter!

No comments:

Labels