Monday, March 12, 2007

Patience is a Virtue

Happy Monday Everyone

My youngest son has been waiting for a certain video game I ordered for him as a surprise. I probably should have kept my mouth shut and let it be a surprise; but he was having a bad day and I thought it would cheer him up. It did put a smile on his face momentarily but now he is upset because it has not arrived yet. I advised him it will take a few weeks and I asked him to be patient.

Funny that I should ask my son to be patient when patience is definitely not something I possess myself. It made me think that if children lead by example what kind of example am I setting when I rant and rave when my husband is late or a certain phone call or email I am expecting is taking a bit too long to show up. I also find myself sometimes hurrying the kids in the morning fearing that they are going to be late and sometimes I am impatient if they are not moving quite as fast as I would like them to.

If we want our children to learn patience than we need to model patience. I am going to add another goal to my growing list and try and be much more tolerant and patient when it comes to my children and other people.

It also sounds like a great topic for one of our newsletters so look for that in a future issue.

Happy Parenting

Monicka

No comments:

Labels