Friday, March 23, 2007

It's OK to Ask For Help

I was having an especially busy day away from home today and was feeling a little stressed because, I had someone dropping by at 3PM and the house was in a bit of a mess. I was hoping I would have time to do a quick vacuum and put a few things away but all the chores seemed to be taking longer than necessary and I was running behind. When I finally got home my daughter was home but she had not attempted to do anything even though she knew full well that we were expecting company shortly. I started on a cleaning frenzy with only a few minutes to spare feeling very frustrated and thinking I would never get it done on time. No one seemed to be lifting a finger to help and I didn't have the time to start yelling. I was trying to do it all and I was at the breaking point,but too proud to ask for help, thinking my kids should see me slaving away and offer assistance. NO such luck!!!

Finally I got to the point where I was in another room and needed something and asked my son to get it. He came back with what I needed, no questions asked and amazingly enough asked me if there was anything else he could do? I tell you I would have fallen off my chair if I had been sitting on one. Could it be that easy? I decided to test the waters and asked him to clear the coffee table of newspapers and magazines and sure enough he did it. When he had finished he came back and asked if there was anything else I would like him to do? Could this really be that simple?? I decided to test my daughter and the same thing happened.

The moral of this blog is, it really is OK to ask. Sometimes we think just because we are running around like a chicken with its head cut off, that anyone in viewing distance should just want to give us a helping hand, but strangely enough it doesn't work that way for kids, or husbands for that matter. It is much more effective to ask, then to tell and a thank you goes a long way too.

Happy Parenting

Monicka

No comments:

Labels