Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Goal Setting for Kids

Goal Setting with your Kids - Tip of the Day!

When goal setting with your kids, it's a good idea to encourage them to draw pictures of their goal or find and cut pictures out of magazines. Scrap booking is fun for kids of most ages anyway, but just think how much extra momentum they will have if they are constantly drawing or seeking out pictures to remind them of how great it will be when they have achieved their goal!

Even tiny kids can enjoy pictorial goal setting. When they are too young to write, what better way to introduce goal setting than to encourage kids to find and enjoy pictures that represent what they want to achieve. As always with young children, remember to keep the timescales appropriate. A goal could be as simple and immediate as wanting to go the park and feed the ducks this afternoon ... by helping a small child visualize and plan a goal like that, perhaps with a step that says "I'm going to get ready to go out and help put on my own coat and shoes", you are setting up a success mechanism where he or she is learning ... I want something ... I'm willing to do what it takes to get it (in this case, put on my coat without a fuss and maybe do up my own laces) ... then I successfully achieve my goal.

It might sound tiny or even silly, but these little introductions to goal setting will grow with you and your child!

Happy goal setting with your kids!

Cassie
KidsGoals

No comments:

Labels