Friday, April 13, 2007

Can't we all just get along??

Happy Friday Everyone

Cassie had a good rest last night and so far (knock on wood) seems to be coping with the jet lag really well. We had a nice lazy day at home, talking, drinking lots of tea and also watched a movie. I am really enjoying spending time with my best friend. Which brings me to the topic of today's blog,"Friendship and Asperger's"

I have read that most "Aspies" are not interested in forming any social connections, but I beg to differ. From everything that I have experienced with my daughter and other kids in her support group, is that they all would really like to fit in, the problem is they just don't know how. The movie Cassie and I watched was called Mozart and the Whale, which showed how important it is to connect with other people. No matter who we are we all need to feel like we belong. The characters in the film had problems forming friendships with others but find meaningful relationships with other Apies.

Anyone who refuses to give these kids a chance does not know what they are missing! Each child is unique and amazing in their own personal strengths and in the way they view the world. I truly believe that they are angels that are here to teach us all something. My fondest wish is that with all the airplay Autism and Autism Spectrum Disorders (hate that word by the way) has received recently, that the world will have a more positive view of the children and adults who are on the spectrum, and that can only be a good thing.

I found this incredible poem and emailed the woman who wrote it for permission to post her url on our blog. It is titled, "Plaint of the Aspie" I think you will find it as enlightning as Cassie and I did.




All the best

Monicka

No comments:

Labels