Thursday, April 19, 2007

Autism and Affection

Some autistic children - or kids with autism spectrum conditions - have difficulty in both demonstrating and accepting affection in what is considered a socially-acceptable fashion.

Visiting Monicka here in Canada and getting to know her 15-year-old daughter, Savannah, has been a real eye-opener for me and I feel extremely privileged to know such a special child. I must admit I was a little trepidatious as I've not known an autism-spectrum child before and didn't really know what to expect. But as soon as I met Savannah I could see for myself what a special and loving child she is.

When I went in her room this morning and gently woke her from a deep sleep, she gave me the most beautiful smile and it just made my day!

With much love to all of these very, very special kids and the parents that have the honor of raising them.

Cyberhugs,

Cassie

No comments:

Labels