Monday, August 06, 2007

Grandparents and Self Esteem

My parents have been staying with us for the last two weeks and while it was wonderful having them around I was not sad to see them leave. Don't get me wrong, I love my parents dearly, but my biggest problem with them is that they never seem to respect the fact that I am no longer a child. My Mother insisting that I wear something less revealing, or I should be eating more vegetables. While on the other hand they spoil my kids rotten allowing them to have dessert even if they didn't clean their plate and all the rules that I set in my household seem to go out the window. It got me thinking, what happened to the overly strict, judgemental people that I grew up with?

Something magical seems to happen to our parents when we have children. Those overly strict, judgmental people that we know and love, seem to disappear into thin air. Our children really benefit the most from this amazing transformation because Grandparents are the epitome of unconditional love. Since love is the most important ingredient children need to develop self esteem and reach their full potential, and unlike frazzled , multi-tasking parents, Grandparents can often provide more undivided, non-judgemental attention.

Here's to Grandparents!!!

Happy Parenting

Monicka

No comments:

Labels