Sunday, September 17, 2006

"Supernanny" style assault in nursery???

This interesting article in yesterday's paper is about a nursery owner - just down the road from where I live - who is accused in court of common assault after she allegedly "dragged" a two year old girl to the "naughty chair", shouting at her.

The toddler was said to have hit a younger child on the head with a toy brick.

My hubbie read the article and said "When I was a lad I'd get caned at school and come home and tell my Dad, and all he said was ' you probably deserved it'."

I don't have a problem with a child who has misbehaved having to have a time-out, but what really upsets me is that there is no need to lose one's temper. I think if we lose our temper when disciplining children then we have lost control - and it is a very bad example to set. If this woman, at 56 years old, feels the need to "drag", "push" and "shout at" a 2 year old, then she should not be working with kids!

She could learn a lot from Monicka's suggestions on positive reinforcement for kids!

She denies the charge of common assault but faces up to six months in prison if found guilty. I will be watching the case with interest...

Cassie

No comments:

Labels