Friday, June 01, 2012

Just Because :)

When I was in my twenties I was lucky enough to be invited to take part in a pilot program, called the "Contemporary Woman Project. A group of about 20 women all single Moms from all walks of life, got together, along with two counselors and spent a weekend in the woods learning how to build trust after a traumatic event. Most of the women had gone through divorce or some other trial and were having problems getting on with their lives.


 Many hours were spent "talking about our feelings" and we also had to work together to make it across a difficult obstacle course and many other challenges. I learned that when I put my mind to it I was actually quite a capable person for I had completely left my comfort zone for a few short days and learned how to rock climb a fifty foot cliff and repel back down. I will never forget the women that I met that weekend. At the end of it we were asked to write little notes about what we thought of each other. I still have those notes and call them my flowers. I read them when I am feeling down and they never fail to cheer me up.

 Think about how you could incorporate a similar idea into your children's lives. How pleased your child would feel if he found a short note in his lunchbox saying "Worlds greatest kid" or a note on the bathroom mirror saying "Smile!! Mommy loves you." Use your imagination and I am sure you can come up with something that will put a smile on your child's face. Make it a daily habit to plant flowers of encouragement where your child is sure to find them. They say it is the little things that count and a child never tires of hearing that he or she is loved and important.

No comments:

Labels